1 John 4:18 “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”
Who knows the story of St. Valentine? He was a clergyman in the Roman empire who ministered to persecuted Christian. He was imprisoned, martyred, and tortured and died on 14 February 269.
I think we all battle with this notion of perfect love is. Referring to the scripture in 1 John 4:18 “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. The One who fears is not made perfect in love.”
- What is John referring to as perfect love?
- How does perfect love drive out fear?
- Have you had any experience with this?
Many of us might think that perfect love is between two people. I do not think that such love exists between people. As we are human and as humans, we are fallible.
If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. I gave you an example that you again should do as I did to you.
Nevertheless, God demonstrates His love toward us, in that. Is perfect love not precisely this, that Christ died for us, yet we are the sinners.
He showed His Love by servantly washing the feet of his disciples.
Husbands love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her.
1 JOHN 4:8
“Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.”
Perfect love needs to come from God. God is Love; His Love drives out all fear. Once we comprehend the deep Love that God has for us, we can love others. God’s love for us is perfect in every way. We cannot add to it, and we cannot subtract from it.
“Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.”
God’s love is unfailing, and it is always there. A person will let us down since it is a human being, but God cannot let us down. We can put our trust in him.
If we get this, really understand this, and make this our identity, then we can start to love as God loves us, as God is Love.
- Is love the centre of your ministry?
- Reflect on what the meaning of love is for you?
- Why did you decide to endeavour to become a counsellor?
- What role does love play in this decision?
- Do you experience this perfect love as described by John?
- How does the statement God is Love resonate with you?
- How are you going to apply love in your ministry?
Ps. Marie-Lou Els.
- The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica. (5 January 2021.https://www.britannica.com/biograph y/Saint-Valentine.com Editors. (6 February 2021.)
- https://www.history.com/this-day- in history/st-valentine-beheaded,
- Bible NIV