Life is not just one dimensional. This is also true of our life experiences. The end of the year is the ideal time to reflect back at what we lived through this year. Sometimes we have to look back to be able to move forward. Carl Jung said:
“Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
Reflection is essential for many reasons:
- It helps to bring us into contact with our emotions, experiences, thus with ourselves.
- We call this self-awareness.
- Self- awareness helps us to understand our motivations and our actions.
- It helps to reveal our values
- It helps to look at our behaviour and to understand it.
- And what we have to change to move forward.
Here are a few reflection-prompts for you:
- What are you the proudest of, of this year?
- What is unfinished? Would you like to finish it?
- What caused you pain?
- What are you grateful for?
- What will you do that is the same or what you will change? Why?
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
There are three things important for successful change:
- Mark out 15 minutes at the end of the day to reflect about the day.
- Try to identify what worked and continue with that and what did not – and change that.
- Who are the encouragers in your life – and share highs and lows with them?
Doing life is not easy – but when we take time to reflect, we move into a growth space. Do not be afraid to look back, because it is the fuel that we need to move forward.
Live your dreams.